Thursday, November 10, 2011

Amy's special day

Finally a post about Amy's 4th birthday! I wrote about my ideas to create a sustainable/frugal birthday party here and this is how the day turned out...

We got Amy a new baby doll and I sewed some clothes from leftover fabrics, including the dress in the photo above. I made a cover for an old basket and filled it with vintage plates and cups as a picnic set, complete with embroidered tablecloth and napkins. This may have been environmentally friendly as it is all used items and not just imported from China, but it was not frugal! Those little cups and saucers are expensive! And, I'm not sure it was a wise gift idea being so fragile, but I had a ball finding all the items and sewing up the cover.


I sewed the bunting from some new and some vintage fabric, and we made heart shaped dream catchers with wool and fencing wire we had in the shed. I was really happy with how these both turned out, and now Amy has the bunting hanging on the wall of her bedroom where it looks lovely.


Lili decorated a tin for the textas and crayons - colouring in is always popular with kids!

We created a tent to play in from bamboo and pieces of fabric, sheets and pillows...

Everyone wanted to play in there....

Amy had a fantastic day celebrating with friends and family. She doesn't tend to put herself as the centre of attention very often, so it was lovely to fuss over her.

The cake was garden inspired, complete with lady-bugs cupcakes. Note to self: make smaller cupcakes next time as the kids barely ate them, although the chooks were very appreciative of the ample leftovers!

Daddy ran the party games...

We had a special birthday morning tea on Amy's actual birthday, using the new tea set of course :)


So, Amy had a great birthday. I think I succeeded in creating a party that was just less plasticky than I usually do. Frugal? In some areas. Sustainable? Using vintage items and making gifts and decorations was definately more sustainable, but personally it was pretty unsustainable in terms of just how long it took me to get everything ready. Still, I have already forgotten about how much work was involved and now I can just enjoy the memories :)

Happy Birthday Amy!

No comments:

Post a Comment