Monday, June 18, 2012

Weekend baking

 The last few weekends I have been baking from recipes out of my Old Fashioned Favourites cookbook, and this weekend was no exception.  I have noticed a theme in these "old-fashioned recipes" - butter and sugar. Lots of it!

Firstly I baked Easter Biscuits.  As I read the recipe I realised that I know these as Currant Cakes.  My Grandma used to bake them, although she used lard rather than butter. Hers would come out melt-in-your-mouth crumbly and were terribly delicious straight from the oven.  You were never allowed to take one though, and if she caught you sneaking one off the tray she would shout "Gerrout" in her Yorkshire accent and perhaps swat at you with a tea towel. I remember asking Mum to get one for me.  Mine were almost as yummy as hers but not quite!

Here's the dough ready to roll out.  I used sultanas chopped up into smaller pieces because I didn't have currants but really wanted to cook this recipe :)

 Cutting the dough into rounds...

 Warm Currant Cakes sprinkled with sugar and ready to eat...
 I also baked what my recipe book called British Flapjacks.  These were easy and had just three ingredients - sugar, butter and rolled oats.  They came out crispy and a bit caramelised.  The children love them, but when I tried one I felt like I had a mouthful of butter. Of course, that's because I did have a mouthful of butter and sugar!  I think this recipe is one that I will leave to the past!

 Mum, if you are reading this - don't you think these are just like Grandmas?
Do you have baking recipes handed down from past generations?

2 comments:

  1. I think my nan used to make the currant cakes too.
    As for recipes handed down- I have my Grandfathers sister-in-laws pizza dough recipe known as 'Joans Pizza Base' that I always use for making homemade pizzas.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those foodie pictures literally made my mouth water. It's 11pm and I feel like I need a fresh baked cookie! Nite nite.

    ReplyDelete