Friday, July 12, 2013

Gluten-free is good for you: fad or fact?

For the past few years I have been gradually changing our family diet. We now eat food made from scratch, lots of home-grown veges, organic milk, mostly organic meat. I avoid additives and preservatives in food.  I run a food co-op, through which we buy organic flours, rice etc. We make our own bread, based on Cydi O'Meara's Super Mix recipe, fresh everyday from organic ingredients.  We now use home-made soap, green cleaners, less chemicals.

So, I should be feeling healthier than ever, right? Wrong.


For the last 18 months at least I have just "felt unwell".  I think I haven't looked very well either.  I have felt tired, lethargic, occasionally nauseus for no reason, and bloated.  Last Christmas I started having cramping and other bowel issues as well, so I went to the doctor and was checked for various problems including bowel cancer.  Apparently there was nothing wrong with me, except borderline anaemia (for which there was no apparent cause either).  With such vague symptoms it was hard to convince the doctor there was any illness to be checked out.  Despite seeing two different doctors, neither suggested that diet could be a cause or tested me for gluten intolerance.

Meanwhile, I kept reading about gluten-free diets, paleo diets, dairy-free diets. Some of my friends follow various diets like these too.  Now, I am quite skeptical when it comes to diets and usually just dismiss them. I prefer to stick to eveything in moderation, a balanced diet and exercise.  But one day I realised that I felt much worse in the afternoons, after lunch.  I had an "aha" moment - it must be the bread.  Such healthy bread though, it was hard to believe that it was causing health troubles.

I figured I had nothing to lose, so I embarked on a more or less gluten free diet for a week.  The effect was almost instantaneous.  Suddenly, I just "felt well". No bloating, heaps of energy, no nausea.  When my husband got home from work each day he said he could tell if I had eaten bread or pasta or other gluten filled food, just by looking at me.  I went from falling asleep on the lounge at 8pm to knitting by the fire at midnight.

Obviously, the whole gluten-free diet deserved more attention!  My 11 year old son has always had vague bouts of nausea and diahorrea- nothing serious enough or specific enough to warrant medical intervention, but niggling away in the background.  I switched him to gluten-free too. Among other results, he became more cheerful!

Thus began my research into gluten and it's effects on the body (and mind).  Switching to a gluten-free diet is not simple, and packaged products that are "gluten-free" are not therefore additive-free, preservative-free or healthy.  They are also heavy on packaging and heavy on the wallet.  The last thing I wanted to do was go back to expensive, packaged food. 

Next: learning more about the effect of grains and gluten, and can I still eat pizza?

8 comments:

  1. I had a similar situation, only when I was pregnant, and now I'm breastfeeding my son, if I eat bread, he gets a sore tummy. Look forward to the next installment. I mostly avoid eating breads and pasta, and will sometimes buy gluten free versions. I use gluten free flour but it is expensive and like you say, more processed. And only available in tiny portions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through Rhonda and I can relate to this post. We are having the same symptoms in our family. Some days I am so exhausted it's hard to get a simple task accomplished and other days I have a lot of energy. I too have heard all the talk about gluten free and it just may be time to start shifting toward it. I think I'm going to start a family food journal and symptoms along with it to get an idea of what might be triggering it. I look forward to following along on your journey to see how you get started. Good luck! Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another one who found you through Rhonda! Just wanted to say that I too had all sorts of gastric symptoms and falling asleep after pasta etc. The coeliac blood test come back negative as well. Then one day I had a huge histamine type reaction after a glass of wine,had noticed on occasion that wine gave me a "stuffy nose". A little bit of research showed sulfites, a food preservative, to be the problem.I had some other symptoms that I would never have thought were part of the same intolerance, but they are! Am slowly finding things that are/are not OK.
    Sorry this is such a long comment, but my life has been transformed by removing this food additive from my diet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's super interesting. We grow our own veggies and what we buy is mostly organic. I'm a SAHM and apart from having 'wild' kids we have a pretty quite lifestyle in our little village in the french alps. However 9pm at the latest I'm either in bed or on my way, and am exhausted. My son has a very fragile stomach and we've had him tested for gluten allergies but they were negative. Now all the same after reading what you have written I really want to give this gluten free a try. My husband will never go for it, he's french and eats at least 500g of bread per day and has endless energy!
    Three days ago I gave up coffee as I though that might be making me lethargic at the end of the day. I'm experiencing horrible 'cold turkey'! Interesting that you say that you feel instantly better after giving up the gluten, did you have any cold turkey days?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're feeling better Meg. Yours sounds a lot like my journey ... cramps and nausea all my life, and the tiredness after a healthy salad roll was incredible! I cut out dairy and gluten a few years ago and this year also cut out ALL grains and legumes for a gut detox. I really hope to be allowed rice and lentils again, but otherwise it's going well. I hope you continue to improve in health!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I removed wheat and most processed sugar from my diet about 12 months ago - lost heaps of weight and felt so much better. I let myself slide over Xmas and have been on again / off again since then. I'm trying to be off again atm. When I'm off it, I rarely get migraines and if I do, the severity seems to be lesser; I have more energy; I don't hobble around like an old lady when I first get out of bed; menstrual cramps disappear; I'm less bloated / gassy. So why the heck do I keep eating bread etc?!

    Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you've struck a chord with this post!! I don't suffer too much with fatigue / lethargy but bloating & gassiness and sort of irritable bowell symptoms. I'm going to avoid pasta & bread products and wine and baked goodies this week & see how I go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh I love flour based products, this would be so hard to do, a lifetime of food habits to change, but I have a suspicion I might feel better for it too. Definitely comotose on the couch at 8.30pm.

    ReplyDelete