Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Decisions, decisions...or Operation Sleeping Beauty

Last winter I bought an old chair with the idea of restoring it to use by the fire through the winter time. I got busy doing other things and so it has sat in the garage for almost a year, gathering dust. But now it is back on my radar and has become one of my current projects. Link
The project can be called
Operation Sleeping Beauty because the beauty of this old girl is well and truly sleeping. Under a layer of nasty orangey vinyl. And dirt. And failing padding. But I believe there is beauty to be found. Here she is...


So far I have stripped the chair back and I am now working on sanding the timber and repairing/replacing the padding.

Meanwhile I am looking for fabric to reupholster it with, and here is where I am having trouble deciding!
Love the fabric at the back - "Chantilly" from Fabric Studio

So many nice fabrics out there. Two of my favourite fabric sources are www.boltofcloth.com and www.kelanifabric.com.au.


I have also just found this site and I love so many of their fabrics, although they tend to be quite expensive.

I also like to browse at www.duckcloth.com.au and www.funkyfabrix.com.au

I love the idea that an old, tired piece of furniture can be given a new life, and that it comes with it's own history. Some day soon (hopefully!) the chair will bloom into new-found beauty and become a favourite spot in front of the fire on a cold winters day. Watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. I love the shape of the old girl. I like all the fabrics you have chosen it will look lovely when complete. I can just see you sitting in it with a good book and a handmade crochet or knitted lap blanket. Oh my just thinking about it makes me think I may never leave home during winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look forward to seeing the finished product. It is a lovely shape. I am not a sewing/ craft person so the fabrics all look beautiful to me.

    ReplyDelete