Saturday, May 26, 2012

Weekend Baking...and eating :)

After a bit of a sleep-in this morning and because I am not feeling completely well, I had a slow start to the day and didn't achieve much. Sometime after lunch, my desire to eat something yummier than some plain rice crackers (all I could find to snack on) overtook my desire to sit around and do not much more than read the newspaper.


I dug out the cookbooks for inspiration and, happily, gathered some momentum as I measured and mixed.  First up was an oat and choc chip slice, especially for the kids.  I have switched from using packaged choc chips and now use sweetened cacao nibs instead.

 Next a recipe for Butterscotch Curls in my Womens Weekly Old Fashioned Favourites cookbook took my fancy.  It calls for copious amounts of butter and sugar and so seemed completely appropriate for a cold and windy Saturday afternoon.

Here is the pan prepared with butter, sugar and pecans...




The dough rolled out ready to be smothered in more butter and sugar.











  






Cut into rounds and placed on top of the prepared base.











 

Ready to eat with a cup of tea :)












Weekend baking wouldn't be complete without some music to cook to and I was listening to Sometimes the Stars by The Audreys.
 
I may still quickly throw together a batch of vanilla icecream for the kids.  This is my easy recipe:

Blend 1/3 cup water, 2/3 cups sugar and 1 cup powdered milk in a blender.
Add 1 egg, approx 150ml cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence and enough milk to bring it up to 1 litre. Blend well.
Place in a sealed container and freeze for 30 minutes. Stir and pour into an icecream maker. Process in icecream maker for 30 minutes then return it to the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment